Rules that you must agree to before using these feeds
Before you use our testing feeds, please read and agree to the following rules:
- Anyone participating in WebOS Internals alpha testing of any kind must be prepared to fully erase and webOS Doctor their device at a moment's notice without warning and without any regrets or complaints.
- They must be prepared to and able to log into the command line on the device and type Linux commands when instructed to do so. Knowing Linux commands ahead of time is preferred, but not required if you are willing to learn them when necessary or can follow instructions without making mistakes.
- They must be prepared to go to great and extraordinary lengths to try and reliably reproduce any problems they encounter.
- They must give full and detailed bug reports, leaving out no piece of information which could possibly be remotely connected to the problem.
- They must read any and all documentation and forums threads (in their entirety) before asking a question.
- They must fastidiously follow the forum threads where the alpha testing is being discussed by the authors, and follow precisely any instructions given there.
If you're not prepared to do *all* the above, and do it all in good spirit, then please wait for the public release of the item.
If you are prepared to do *all* the above, then by all means please participate in the alpha testing.
Note that everything above is a function of attitude, not of skill.
Configuring the WebOS Internals Testing Feeds
With Preware versions 0.9.30 and above, incombination with webOS 1.3.5 and above, users are now able to add custom feeds through Preware without the use of a computer. The following instructions will explain how to add the Webos-Internals Testing feeds.
Note that you will need to enable *TWO* feeds below. You need the *ALL* feed and you need the device-specific feed as well (armv7, armv6 or i686).
|Target Device: ALL|
|Target Device: Pre/Pre+/Pre2/Veer/TouchPad/Pre3|
|Target Device: Pixi/Pixi+|
|Target Device: Palm SDK Emulator|
- Open Preware and wait for it to finish loading.
- Open the App Menu (tap "Preware" in the top left corner of the screen) and tap Manage feeds.
- Scroll to the bottom until you see the New Feed box.
- Type or paste a name and corresponding URL from above in the appropriate text boxes. Make sure the URL does *not* have a slash at the end.
- Make sure the IS COMPRESSED option is set to YES.
- Tap Add Feed and then tap Yes when the alert pops up.
- Repeat these steps for each feed you wish to enable.
- Gesture swipe back. Preware will alert you that you have added feeds and ask if you want to update them now. Choose YES.
Congratulations, you have just added a custom feed! For adding other feeds, be sure to replace the name and URL in these instructions with the proper name and URL.
TIP: shift+tap (and drag) on text to select gesture+c to copy gesture+v to paste Make sure to delete 'http://' before pasting the URL if the URL already contains 'http://'
Using a Computer
1. Gain access to the shell, either through novaterm/ssh or via the terminal application available through the regular WebOS Internals Feed
2. Execute the following commands:
cd /media/cryptofs/apps/etc/ipkg echo "src/gz webosinternals-testing http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/all" > webos-internals-testing.conf echo "src/gz webosinternals-testing-armv7 http://ipkg.preware.org/feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7" >> webos-internals-testing.conf
3. Once Preware is launched, select "Update Feeds" from the Application Menu.
Replace 'armv7' with 'armv6' or 'i686' in the instructions above if you are using a Pixi or the Emulator respectively.
Kernel Testing Feeds
Re-read the rules above before continuing. Also see http://forums.precentral.net/2532084-post3.html for further warnings up to and including your device wiping itself, (literally) melting, and/or eating your kitten.
If you do not want a puddle of molten plastic and silicon where your Pre/Pixi once was, DO NOT CONTINUE.
You have been warned.
- Type 'webos-kernels-testing' (without the quotes, and using lower case letters and hyphens only) in the NAME field of the NEW FEED section of the Manage Feeds screen accessible from the Preware application menu. If you make any error in this feed name, the URL below will not be replaced by the real URL when the device is rebooted, and you will not get access to the feeds. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE FEED NAME CORRECT!
- Put http://preware.is.awesome.com/ in the URL field. Note that this is not a real URL - it is a placeholder only. Again, you need to get the feed name correct for the real URL to be replaced correctly when the device is rebooted.
- Leave the IS COMPRESSED toggled on.
- Hit "Add Feed" and read the disclaimer carefully. Yes, the things you might find in kernel testing feeds are likely to completely wipe your device without warning. Hit the Ok button only if you are prepared to lose all your data and destroy your device without any regrets or complaints.
- Immediately reboot the device by simultaneously pressing the Opt, Sym and R keys. If you don't reboot the device, or if you only do a Luna Restart instead of a Device Reboot, then placeholder URL will not be replaced by the real URL and you will not get access to the feeds. MAKE SURE YOU REBOOT THE DEVICE!
- Wait for the device to boot. If you got the feed name correct, the placeholder URL will be replaced by the real feed URL automatically.
- Open Preware, and hit Update Feeds. Make sure you have a working network connection for this.
Preware will repair the URL field automatically when the device boots. Did I mention that you have to get the feed name precisely correct for this to happen? MAKE SURE YOU GET THE FEED NAME CORRECT AND REBOOT THE DEVICE!
You must be running Preware 1.1.4 or later for this to work (yes, this has been possible for quite some time).