Talk:Backing Up via Rsync
Why turn on the rsync daemon at all? This could easily be accomplished simply by running
rsync -HrlptgoDPvvS --force --delete --del --stats -e ssh root@IPADDRESS:/ /media/pre-backup/
Also, since -P includes --progress, there's no reason to call it a second time.
We don't have a root password set up on the Pre, it's using sudo therefore that's why ssh won't work. Rsyncd.conf gives the rsync daemon root privileges so it can mirror the device. I'm be open to suggestions, but I'm trying to make this fit in with the next steps guide and limit the number of steps.
Thanks for pointing out the redundancy on --progress.
Ahhh yes. I keep forgetting that not everyone set up keys for root access.
Pre Rebooting Issue
If you don't exclude some of the directories then the Pre reboots when the backup process touches them. -hmagoo
- Can you specify which files/directories prompt the reboot? -hopspitfire 02:57, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- I could narrow it down to proc and/or sys, that's narrow enough for me to exclude both, any progress on restore testing? I'm not running an emulator. -hmagoo
- I tested the restore process and it works. Can you run the backup process and send the output to a file (rsync ... > /media/internal/rsync.log) and post it? -hopspitfire 00:49, 24 August 2009 (UTC)
- rsync-outputs.tar.gz this was the console and log output from running a backup. I had already a backup in place in the destination but excluded /dev, /sys/ and /proc initially, ran it this time without those exclusions to test it out (again, as I saw this reboot the very first time I tried this method). rebooted right after this line in the console, similar in the log.
rsync: read errors mapping "/sys/devices/platform/lcd-controller/ctrl_reg_dump" (in root): No data available (61)
- I ran the backup again excluding /sys and everything completed, only errors I got in the console were:
rsync: send_files failed to open "/proc/sys/kernel/sched_nr_migrate" (in root): Permission denied (13)
rsync: send_files failed to open "/proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/flush" (in root): Permission denied (13)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1524) [generator=3.0.5]
Thanks for attaching your log. /sys and /proc don't need to be included in the backup, but /dev does (to initialize devices on boot). After testing the backup and restore, the easiest way is just mkdir the /sys and /proc directories and exlude them in the backup. Does the pre still restart when you excluded those directories?? -hopspitfire 21:23, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
Shouldn't /dev exist fine after a restore and before rsync backup restore? I guess if you made some strange volume changes, but still. --NetWhiz 21:59, 26 August 2009 (UTC)