Difference between revisions of "Application:Stella"
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
As you might assume, porting software to the palm pre webOS platform is a lot of work, so
As you might assume, porting software to the palm pre webOS platform is a lot of work, so consider to [WebOS_Internals:Site_supportdonate] to the project so that the work can be continued in the future. Thanks!
Revision as of 22:00, 9 February 2010
Stella Atari 2600 VCS Emulator 3.0
Ported by Thomas Linden (debilater) February 2010.
As you might assume, porting software to the palm pre webOS platform is a lot of work, so please consider to donate to the project so that the work can be continued in the future. Thanks!
Install Preware, and then launch it. Click on "Available Packages" then "Applications, or "Available Applications" then "All" depending on the Preware preferences you have chosen. Now type in "stella" (no quotes). Stella should show up. If not, make sure your feeds are up to date. Click on Stella and then click install. You will probably have to install other services as well (it will tell you if you do).
Now you are ready to add ROMs(games)!
We aren't going to discuss how to get ROMs here but we will tell you how to transfer them to your Pre.
You may use .a26, .bin, .rom, gz, or .zip Atari 2600 ROM files.
Connect your Pre to your computer via USB mode. Once the Pre shows up on your computer, open it. You now should be at the "root" of your Pre's storage. If you look at the folders in the root, there should be a few including the "wallpapers", "ringtones", and most importantly, a "stella" folder. Click on that and therein the "roms" folder. Copy the ROMs from your computer and move them here. Just put the files there, do not create subdirectories.
If you have installed some ROM files, start Stella, you will see a list of games available. Select one by tapping on it and tap on the "select" button in the bottom left corner - the game starts.
Here is the default Keymapping coming with Stella:
- up w
- down s
- left a
- right d
- jump space (originally called fire1 too)
- fire2 f
- fire3 g
- select enter
- reset q
- save shift
- load l
- take screenshot p
- options-menu delete
- command-menu c
The most important things to know
- start game: pres space bar
- move around: use w,s,a,d keys (see above)
- fire/jump: pres spacebar
- switch to landscape mode: press Delete on keyboard => tap "UI Settings" => tap "Fullscreen" => select "off" => tap button "Ok"
- modify keymappings: press Delete on keyboard => tap "Input Settings" => select a function (current mapping will be displayed below!) => tap "Map" => press the new key => tap "Ok"
- take screenshot: press "p", screenshots will be saved to "/media/internals/stella/screenshots/"
- exit current game/return to ROM Launcher: press "c" key => tap "Exit Game"
- exit Stella: throw it away OR tap "Quit" in ROM Launcher
- Stella crashes if you switch from portrait mode (the default) to landscape mode. Open bug reported to stella maintainer (debilater)
- taking screenshots with the palm (orange+@+p) produces empty images
- if you put stella into the background, the command menu appears
- Initial version (stella 3.0 stable)