Simple Big Book is an application which presents you with the first edition of the A.A. Big Book originally printed in 1939. The code for this app was originally from Simple Bible. It was re-worked into Simple Big Book by Rick B and John K, but has become largely abandoned at this point. I am dusting it off, fixing issues, and adding features.
- Complete main text of the A.A. Big Book (1st Edition), including some appendices.
- Exhibition mode that cycles though sentences from the entire text (speed configurable in main app).
- For webOS1.*, Exhibition is accessible in the app menu ("Quote Generator") so you can still experience it.
- Full screen mode. Double-tap the screen to active/deactivate. There's a preference for the app starting full screen, too.
- Day/Night mode (palm-light & palm-dark) for easy reading in darker situations. (Thank you yet again, Jev!).
- Remembers the exact location in the book you were when you close it for easy resuming.
- Search function that acts on the entire book in a configurable any/all/phrase fashion.
- Text laid out in the fashion of the 4th edition (as best as possible).
- Several external support and help links.
This app is not dead yet! I am in the process of giving this app a complete over-haul. I am currently proof-reading the entire text. Most other features are done.
Remaining Known Issues
While I've fixed a lot of the usage hindering issues, a couple still remain that I will fix once the basic framework of the app is solid, which is not far away.
- The larger chapters take a short pause to load. There's a way with AJAX to load a single DIV, then load the rest of the surrounding text. This is (seemingly) easy to do, but it'll throw off the search function and things like that requiring a good bit of re-write. I need it to WORK first...
The first edition of Alcoholics Anonymous is in the public domain. This version contains the foreword, the Doctor's Opinion, the front sections, and Dr. Bob's story from the first edition. The page numbers in this version correspond to those in the third and fourth editions. The stories in the back of the third and fourth editions of Alcoholics Anonymous are copyright by the AA World Services Inc and by The AA Grapevine, Inc. AA has not given permission for the distribution of those stories in this form at this time.