Patch webOS Change the default notification.wav Sound
Sideffect : this is the same sound that sounds when you attach a charger to your phone.
NOTE: To use MP3 files off of the USB Storage side of the Pre, please check THIS article.
1. Access Linux your phone.
2. Format the sound you would like to the following specs (I used Audacity): WAV PCM 44.1kHz 16-bit
3. Name the file "notification.wav".
Copy the ringtone onto the USB memory section, let's just use the root directory to keep it simple.
(NOTE: Once it is copied to the usb area, you need to get out of thee USB mode to enable linux access from the terminal)
4. Run this command to mount file system:
mount -o remount,rw /
5. Create a backup of the original sound (just in case) in your usb media path:
cd /media/internal/ mkdir prebackup cd prebackup cp /usr/palm/sounds/notification.wav .
6. Delete the old file and copy the new:
cd /usr/palm/sounds rm notification.wav cp /media/internal/notification.wav .
7. Remount file system as readonly:
mount -o remount,ro /
DONE! No reboot required.
Courtesy of **optik678** (from PreCentral.net)